This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
When you work with electronics, at some point you will need to remove the insulation from some electrical wires. It’s often necessary to strip wires before you perform tasks like soldering etc. To strip wires you can simply use a pocket knife or similar to remove the coating, but if you’re serious about electronics as a hobby or profession you should probably purchase a special best wire stripping tool.
Wire Strippers are designed to make stripping wires accurately, and safely an easy and efficient task. There are many different options out there when it comes to looking for the best wire strippers. So to help simplify the buying process for you, I have created a list of top wire strippers that I believe are great choices.
- 9 Best Wire Cutters | Top Picks, Reviews and Buyers Guide
- 9 Best Plasma Cutters – Top Picks, Reviews and Buying Guide
- 9 Best Laser Cutters | Top 9 Picks, Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 9 Best Flush Cutters | Top Picks Reviewed and Buyer’s Guide
- 9 Best Bold Cutters | Reviews and Buyers Guide
After the list, Solderingexpert.com will include a general buyer’s guide in which I will try to explain the important things to consider before you buy wire strippers.
- Top 5 Best Wire Strippers & Stripping Tool 2021
- 1. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper – Best self-adjusting wire stripping tool
- 2. Klein Tools 11063W Wire Stripper – 2nd Best wire strippers 2019
- 3. Neiko 01924A Self Adjusting Wire Stripper – 2nd Best self-adjusting wire stripping tool
- 4. Capri Tools 20011 – Best automatic wire strippers for smaller wires
- 5. Kinee Adjustable Wire Stripper – Best wire strippers for simplicity
- Best Automatic Wire Stripping Tool – Factors to Consider?
- Conclusion – The Best Wire Strippers?
- Check Out Latest Wire Stripper BestSellers ON SALE!
- Bonus: Quick Start on Irwin Self Adjusting Wire Stripper
Top 5 Best Wire Strippers & Stripping Tool 2021
1. IRWIN VISE-GRIP Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper – Best self-adjusting wire stripping tool
- SELF-ADJUSTING: Strip wire from 10...
- ADJUSTABLE STOPPER: Control the...
- CRIMPING: Crimp 10-22 AWG...
The IRWIN 2078300 Wire Stripper is a great choice if you’re looking for a top-quality, self-adjusting model. The self-adjusting mechanism allows you to easily strip wires from 10 to 24 AWG. So you should be able to accommodate stripping most wires in your electronics projects, whatever they may be.
This tool also has a crimping feature that allows you to crimp 10 – 22 AWG insulated, 10 – 22 AWG non-insulated, and 7mm – 9mm ignition terminals. It features a built-in adjustable stopper which allows you to control the length of the core strip accurately. Also, each IRWIN hand tool comes with a lifetime guarantee. Overall this product is a fantastic choice for both casual hobbyists and professionals.
- Durable high-quality material
- Ergonomic rubber hand grip
- Self Adjusting
- Built-in adjustable stopper
- Insulation can get caught in the way after stripping
- Tension can require adjusting
2. Klein Tools 11063W Wire Stripper – 2nd Best wire strippers 2019
- Wire Stripper and Cutter cuts and...
- Compound action stripping: grip and...
- Precision machined stripping holes...
The 11063W Wire Stripper made by Klein Tools is well built and a reliable choice to accurately and cleanly strip wires. It also doubles as a wire cutter. It can easily cut and strip 8 – 22 AWG wire. This handheld tool is made out of cast alloy with an Ecoat finish for durability and longevity.
Because of the compound action stripping feature you can strip wires easily with a single squeezing motion. And so they can remove up to 1 inch of the insulation jacket of the wire in a single step. Overall this is a fantastic option for those looking for a wire stripper that can also be used as a cutter.
- Tough Corrosion-resistant material
- Ergonomic to use
- Cuts & Strips wire 8 – 22 AWG
- No crimping feature
3. Neiko 01924A Self Adjusting Wire Stripper – 2nd Best self-adjusting wire stripping tool
- AUTOMATIC WIRE STRIPPING (10-24...
- PRECISE EXPOSED WIRE LENGTH:...
- CLEAN WIRE CUTTING: High-frequency,...
This wire stripper features an innovative design that allows for easy self-adjusting wire stripping with a one-handed motion. This tool is ideal for wires 10 – 24 AWG. To achieve perfect tension and jaw clearance for smaller gauge wires it has a thumbwheel for micro-adjustments.
It also features wire cutters, with heat-treated blades for clean cuts. As well as a Built-in crimper tool, which easily crimps 10 – 22 AWG insulated and 4 – 22 non-insulated. All in all, this stripper from Neiko is a top choice not to be overlooked. It is especially useful in working with smaller wires which other strippers struggle with. With the added features of the crimper and cutter, this tool is bound to free up some extra space in your tool-box!
- The handle is comfortable and provides high leverage
- Features ability to strip, cut, and crimp.
- Easily operate with one hand
- Adjust tension with thumbwheel
- Slightly steeper learning curve than other tools
4. Capri Tools 20011 – Best automatic wire strippers for smaller wires
- This automatic wire stripper has a...
- The stripping blades automatically...
- Fast compound consistent wire...
The Capri Tools 20011 Automatic Wire Stripper and Cutter have specially designed stripping blades that automatically adjust to different wire gauges.
One notable aspect of this tool is its slim profile, which allows easy access to tightly confined areas. The efficient design means you can grip and strip in only one motion and work with wires 24 – 10 AWG.
Overall this stripper is a decent choice, especially for those who wish to work with smaller wires. It can crimp, cut, and strip different gauge wires with ease.
- Comfortable and secure pistol grip design
- Cut, Strip, and Crimp
- Not ideal for over 10 AWG
5. Kinee Adjustable Wire Stripper – Best wire strippers for simplicity
- QUICK & EFFICIENT RESULTS: This...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Made of high...
- CUSTOMIZED RESULTS: The adjustable...
The Kinee Adjustable Automatic Cable Wire Stripper is designed for rapid use to save you time and effort. The stop on this item is adjustable so you can consistently strip to the length that you require. It works on 10-24 AWG wire, and with stranded or non-stranded. The design of this wire stripper is about as simple and easy to use as they get. Although it still offers a cutting feature as well as stripping, it can’t do crimping.
- Very easy to use
- Tough and durable construction
- Ergonomic grip
- Cannot be used to crimp
Best Automatic Wire Stripping Tool – Factors to Consider?
While you can in general use most wire strippers for any wire stripping job it is still a good idea to know specifically what your requirements are so that you can choose the best wire stripper for your needs. There are a number of factors that vary between different models, and in order to choose the best option for you, you should take these into consideration.
Grip Design for Wire Stripper Tool
Some wire strippers have more ergonomic grip designs than others. depending on how often and for how long you intend to use the tool you may want a very comfortable grip. Also, some grips are in the pistol-style which can be better for some situations. Read our reviews and take into consideration what type of handle/grip you might need.
Construction – Good Wire Strippers
You should consider the build quality carefully. Some models are made from materials that will be more prone to corrosion, while others are corrosion resistant. While lighter materials like plastic may have the benefit of weighing less they are also less sturdy so it’s a compromise between sturdiness and portability in some cases. Ideally, the grips will be rubber or some other material that provides a good grip.
Wire Size – Small Wire Strippers?
Different Wire strippers will be designed for different wire gauges, so be sure to research the type of wire that you plan to be stripped before you purchase a tool. For example, someone working with wiring for circuitry will probably use much smaller wires and therefore purchase a model capable of smaller gauge stripping.
Ease of Use – Self-adjusting Wire Stripper?
The learning curve for each of these tools varies greatly depending on the design you choose. For instance, some models have a steeper learning curve but will offer more functionality once you become adept at using them. While others are easy to simply pick up and use even if you’re a novice.
Conclusion – The Best Wire Strippers?
Working with electronics demands precision, so choosing the best wire stripping tool is not a decision you should take lightly. I recommend reading through our guide and taking note of factors that are important to your specific case. Make sure you’ve considered the details mentioned in our guide, that way you can assure you purchase a product of great quality that will last for years to come.
Check Out Latest Wire Stripper BestSellers ON SALE!
- Wire cutter with induction hardened...
- Strips and cuts 10-22 AWG
- Pliers style nose allows wire...
- Wire Stripper with stripping head...
- Adjustable stopper to control the...
- Tensioning thumb wheel allows for...
- 8 inch Professional Wire Stripper:...
- Easy To Use: Strong-gripping...
- Designed Grip Handle:Cutting...
Bonus: Quick Start on Irwin Self Adjusting Wire Stripper
Affiliated links and Images on this post was last updated on 2022-09-12 via Amazon Product Advertising API.